Facebook and Twitter on Wednesday took extraordinary action against President Trump for spreading coronavirus misinformation after his official and campaign accounts broke their rules, respectively.
Facebook removed from Trump’s official account the post of a video clip from a Fox News interview in which he said children are “almost immune” from covid-19. Twitter required his Team Trump campaign account to delete a tweet with the same video, blocking it from tweeting in the interim.
In the removed video, President Trump can be heard in a phone interview saying schools should open. He goes on to say, “If you look at children, children are almost — and I would almost say definitely — but almost immune from this disease,” and that they have stronger immune systems.
Apple Inc. is pledging to become carbon neutral across its business, including its mostly overseas supply chain, within the next 10 years, the latest corporate giant planning to shift its operations to battle climate change.
The iPhone maker said Tuesday that the new commitment means that by 2030, every Apple device sold will have been produced with no net release of carbon into the atmosphere. The company plans to reduce its emissions by 75% and develop carbon-removal solutions for the remaining 25% of its footprint.
Apple said its global corporate operations are already carbon neutral and that all of its iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch devices released in the past year are made with some recycled content.
This move doesn’t directly address the right to repair, though in part feels like an attempt to fight off right to repair legislation. But to Apple’s credit, this extends on their commitments in 2017 to make their supply chain a “closed loop.” Plus, Apple is pretty good about encouraging people to hold onto their devices even as it introduces new ones every year: the next version of iOS will run on five year old phones, and macOS Big Sur will run on seven year old Macs.
Email is kind of amazing. Lots of us slag on it, and I’m quick to admit I’m happy as a Slack user or Basecamp user who appreciates the chance to cut down on the amount of work email I receive. But I also get lots of great stuff, like newsletters (from Anne, Lincoln, Alan, Dan).1 The best of that email are those who encounter my work.
One of my absolute favorite things about being a digital historian is how public it is – we’re not just writing things for other people in academia, we’re producing work that’s intentionally public-facing and invites engagement. And that engagement happens all the time. As a writer, that is thrilling.
It’s hard to express just how powerful it is to have someone drop you a note, explaining that your little history project on the Internet about Buffalo Bill Cody and his hiring of Native Americans for the Wild West expeditions caught their attention. To get a note from someone whose grandfather was once part of the Wild West expedition, and asking if I had more information about them. To get a note from a high school student telling me they appreciate me sharing some work openly. To hear from college students that find a project enlightening for thinking about a historical process. To be invited to participate in related projects or new initiatives.
All because I made something for the Internet. All because I included an easy way to reach me by email.
Maybe it’s a confirmation bias, but I think there’s something to be said about how newletters have seeming taken the place of blogging. ↑
Morning – A bucket for tasks best done first thing in the morning. Usually coding or technical writing.
Start Time: 06:00.
Afternoon – A bucket for tasks best done when I’m starting to get tired, burnt out or stupid. Usually research and administrative tasks.
Start Time: 13:00.
Evening – A bucket for family or personal project tasks that I can complete while half asleep.
Start Time: 17:00.
My OmniFocus contexts take on a Merlin Mann level of granularity, and I’ve also been heavily inspired by Kourosh Dini’s advice in Creating Flow with OmniFocus. Here’s just a snippet of my contexts:
But I’m particularly interested in the idea because I operate in a similar way: depending on the time of day I’m better suited for certain tasks. At one point in my pre-OmniFocus days I was using a similar system with contexts that were based on energy levels (e.g., “dashes,” “brain dead,” “focus,” and so on). Korzdorfer’s contexts worth considering the next moment I take the time to revisit my tasks.